Search This Blog

Saturday, November 17, 2018

To Save Or Not to Save?? First of Long Projects Completed

The Ipswich Historical Society Spinners &Weavers had a small two shaft loom which had seen better days, the main frame made of ply had de-laminated in a few places. Sue brought it home and I had very quick first inspection (I do mean I glanced over it went hum yeh ok not really taking it in). She had brought two home or was it three so long ago I can't recall.  Ah it was three Sue repaired one, I did a small few fixes on the other but the wee little two shaft got constantly sidelined.

Finally Sue brought it out one day sat it down in front of me asking what glue she might use to fix the lamination bits with?? I looked up and saw a far greater sight than what she could see. The whole side I was looking at had started to separate not just at the edges but right along the edge and top layer and half way through. The other side wasn't much better.



I hate being the bearer of bad news. Could it be saved? What can you do? Is it better to turf it? What will it cost ( I hate that question)? Can you do a quote?

An sms to the powers to be and a Facebook message some weeks latter I got the go ahead as the ladies collectively had to decide.



Dismantled and read to mark out new patterns.












On dismantling one side the centre layer of plywood fell out no help required.



New plywood sides cut and fit, a bit of tweaking, two new end caps fitted to retain the back and front beams. Sue made new Hedles more than doubling what was on it after I assembled.







Hopefully it will last a few years and get many new weavers interested.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome please forgive us if not replied to immediately.