Friday, January 29, 2016

Norfolk Pine x3

Some time ago 

The remaining logs were buried behind and under stuff and I was concerned they may have rotted to the point best thrown in the bin or fire.

I thought only two remained it gave me the soft material to turn while recouping from my shoulder and to strengthen it I hope.

All three were turned end grain straight down the centre.

Vessel one turned down to 1.5mm wall thickness, soaked with Almond Oil using a spray bottle left overnight or some times days before turning again.

 First of the logs. I cut off the branch protrusions prior turning and de-barked as much as I could.

Internal deep hollowing was made far easier using Neil's Swan/Goose Neck too he made for me. It allows flexibility seen here with four knuckle joints. i found that difficult so removed two much better stability.

 Below first coats of oil which helps stabilise the timber.

More turning and the light starts to shine through the branch knots very spooky.

Just about there i reduced wall thickness further from this photo, the base area left heavy to give weight.

New neighbours moved in across the road and one of their chooks called over to see what was happening.

The longest of the logs became a Vase a shape that just came to mind looking at the spalting after roughing down.

Again branches and bark removed prior turning. I drilled down the pith as far as my bit would reach. The steady rest got a work out also.

 Above left some epoxy was required around the knot/branch holes much of which was turned away by the time I finished.

 Using my home made depth gauge and home made carbide long reach tool I used it to hog out as much waste as possible.

Wall thickness down to approx 5mm. Hollowed out in the bulb area to the same

Oiled and ready for final finish. Approx 13" 330mm high

Vessel three different vase shape

This became interesting and pushed my skills level the wall thickness is about 7mm at the base and bulb end. While neck and mouth are 5mm the under cut lip 3mm and less.

More epoxy to fill vods around the branch/knots.

Steady on.

As I could not see let alone feel the bottom of this one the neck opening is just 40mm 1 1/2" I had to use this tool a round nosed scrapper to remove the nipple and flatten the bottom best I could.
 The under cut lip below

 Progress photos below.

All done during December through January slow going as we had rain, 40C and a lot on.

I will post additional photos of all three when final finish is applied.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Ken's Bowls Red Oak Bowls

Friend Ken had scored from a neighbour of his what we found out to be Red Oak after a period of drying time (9 months) I said to come over and we/he could rough turn them speeding drying time. Test showed they were about 20% before we/he started.
Above the rough turned bowls.

Below a man determined and concentrating heavily.  

A Fleece From Fletts

I had spotted a stone bench off cut on the side of the road Sue loaded it up and we took it out to Alan & Helen's. Alan is building a shed extension and in march holding a sharpening get together for forum members.

Just as we were leaving they mentioned a bag Helen had in her car, it was a whole black Merino fleece she had rescued from being tossed!!

Sue has sorted out and skirted a small part of it and begun combing in the grease and spinning it.

The last photo is after if being combed ready for spinning. Sue has spun three bobbins and plied those to make a a few hanks so far its looking like I will ahve knitted jumper by winter. I love the twisted colours coming through. Photos to come.

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Burl and Cake Stand

Good grief last November when we/I last posted anything, so many reasons for the lag. The main one being my right shoulder, neck and arm were suffering RSI due to even short periods of computer mouse use. I had no real problem in the workshop even turning didn't cause the pain or aggravation I was suffering from index finger through to neck. A Cortizone injection has helped heaps my first ever.

Of course from med December brings family commitments through to mid February birthdays, Christmas and more birthdays. Soon it'll be Easter.

So I shall endeavour to cover a bit of whats been happening when we both have had time in a few I hope dated chronology post.

I needed to get stuck in and turn some wood to clear the stash which had been sitting around for some time as well as use my shoulder, arm and hands to exercise them.

A series of turnings starting with a Bloodwood Burl

A variety of timbers cake stand.

 Camphor platter, Tassie Oak base, Mango stem.

These still need to have final finish applied, due to mostly weather and time and much happening they still sit waiting.