Search This Blog

Thursday, October 17, 2019

Pen Is Mightier

The words often spoken "The Pen is Mightier Than The Sword" as I grew up then little did I know I'd make as many as I have since making my first.

I do recall at school looking into the history of the writing instrument I am of an age where chalk and slate were my first, moving onto pencil through years of ink and ink wells to the Biro. I struggle to hold any writing instrument these days ad scrawl a signature is about best I can do.

New kits hit the market almost daily just as much as Pen kit suppliers who seem to come and go also. This makes it difficult to maintain a good supplier and constant kit styles or parts no matter how big or small they are. Yes there are those kits which have been around for some years bet even they have changes made.  Often instructions can make it very frustrating either poorly written, organised or so long winded yet with bits left out.

I am fascinated by the artistry which goes into designing a kit the engineering behind it all, basically there is a cartridge of ink be that ballpoint or fountain pen. From there designing the exterior is much the same as designing anything really.

One day I may just have to see what design I can produce myself.

Until then I guess it means admiring others work.

These are the latest creations, I have to say thanks to Tony from Perfect Pens & Pencils for many of these kits. Tony sadly decided to reduce his stock due to so many taking up selling kits at prices he could not compete with. 

Thanks also to Ian Welford in Yorkshire UK for the years we have been swapping pen blanks with Alan Flett being courier between. Finally being able to use some of the fine English timbers on some exceptional kits.

Since making these Pristina Fountain Pens back in 2018  I thought it time to make Pristina Rollerball. Like a Biro but they use a Ceramic ball with much softer feel on the ball.

I made one out of QLD Red Gum to compliment and make a matched set of Fountain and Rollerball (centre pen below).
Frome left to right English Elm Burl, English Black Walnut, QLD Red Gum, English Yew, English Spalted Holly.
QLD Cross Cut Red Gum
QLD Cross cut Red Gum












English Spalted Holly
English Yew

English Elm Burl


English Black Walnut












Having made the Dragon Inkle Loom these three Dragons Blood kits seemed appropriate.

Antique Copper with Spalted Mackay Flame Cedar, Brass with acrylic Green Orange and Yellow Crush and Pewter with White Ice Acrylic which the brass tube was painted Blue giving the effect it has.















Antique Copper, Mackay Spalted Flame Cedar. Right the Crown of Dragon's Blood.








Antique Brass with Acrylic Crush.








 Antique Pewter White Frosting Acrylic
Two Gold Tactical Bolt Action Click pens with English Ash can come with a Stylus for use on Tablet or iPad etc or with simple Gold top..






These Knarly Knurly Twist Top Pens are weighty and solid two Gold one with English Lignum Vitae from an old Bowls Ball. The second Huon Pine Burl. The Gun metal Black has Spalted Holly.
 The unusual twist top to bring the nib out unlike most twist which use the nib area to do so.

The unique grain and timbers of all highlights what timbers the world round can produce.






I have over the years made any Bolt Action Pens mostly using Acrylics or Australian timbers I  had. That was until Ted Mitchel gave me some Antler had I not had the opportunity to use such a unique material. Many say they odour when turning Antler is very pungent, I didn't find it so in fact very mild indeed.












Three Elegant Beauties this was a play with some additional to the main timber on both Huon Pine and a Bloodwood Waste wood. The fourth was a re-do on my personal pen as the waste wood blank had begun to separate after a number of heavy meetings with the floor. 
















The European Filigree was chosen as I had for some time two Tru-Stone Turquoise blanks which suited the Silver Filigree. The true Island Ebony to be fitted with the third  Silver kit as seen to left and below.
 





The Tru-Stone is a resin acrylic not actual stone but the weight of the blanks gives the feel and impression it could be.











The Green Dragon acrylic with Black Gun Metal  stands out.














 


Also using the Black Gun Metal Filigree on two English timbers from Ian. Photo on right first at left is Laburnum, centre is Black Walnut, third is the True Island Ebony.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome please forgive us if not replied to immediately.