Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A Change to Metal Work

Some time ago Alan past on to me his old Tormek Super Grind as he updated, many thanks Alan. It has been used often on my turning tools, and some kitchen knives. In using it for bowl gouges etc I had to buy a usable kit as Alan doesn't turn roundy bits.
So I purchased the Scheppac Wet Grinder Wood Turner attachments based on price as Tormek is to me greatly over priced.


In using the bowl gouge jig mounting bracket I found it to say the least over sized and poorly designed, it gives little room left to move along the bar when sharpening/honing the tools to shape.






 This is the Scheppac jig mounted on the bar.






I had a piece of steel block which was almost ideal shape, a second hole drilled for the jig shaft of the main tool holder jig.
A bit of shaping to round off the edge nearest the grind stone a spot of linishing to brighten it up and round the edges.

 I left a shoulder as a buffer.




Instead of retaining the two locking rings I drilled and tapped a 6mm hex head bolt into the block to lock the position of the tool.





 I used a piece of Modwood, off cuts I had been given, to reduce the 17mm hole already in the block to 12mm and this gave a better sliding surface along the bar. Modwood turns easy and has a great instant finish to it, can be shaped well and drilled and tapped. Its a mixture of wood and plastics mainly used for decking.


Fits, looks and works real nice.

Below the two parts sitting side by side as a comparison.




 A quick job for Mark some lock plates for his roof bars had to cut the plates and drill 4x13mm and 4x9mm.






 My first turning job on the Myford just a simple clamping post fo the SCMS (sliding compound mitre saw). I was not happy with the original height or he length of the clamp block as it wouldn't allow large timbers or work with short timbers being put through the saw. This when I make the extended clamp block will give me one each side of the blade a much safer holding format.






I was doing a web search for something or other in regards to spindle adapters for the Nova 3000 and came across Nova's listing which indicated they had an adapter J 1 1/8" x 12tpi which is the spindel thread of the Myford and is listed as such. An email to Trend Timbers and Adrian responded they had one in stock it arrived today and fits like a glove a test run with a Nova chuck for true running and all is well.

 Why would i want a Nova chuck on my metal lathe? All will be revealed as time goes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome please forgive us if not replied to immediately.