Thursday, October 30, 2014

A Few Quick Jobs

Situation No1 arose where as the spinning wheel - wheel needed to be made form scratch again that story in another post later.

Situation No 2 A case of Alan injuring himself and being out of action meaning out of the shed for a couple of weeks effected situation No 1, he's recovered well.

So in the mean time a new wheel hub was made and 12 new spokes, again more on that latter.

Job No 1

After years of great service my trusty workmate type fold away bench became annoying, the vice like top which I replaced some time ago, the mounting set up just would not stay adjusted to keep the two halves secure to work well.
I removed the two part top and tossed them, removed the two vice screws keeping those and the parts and will use them latter on.

I replaced with a 700x600x25 piece of laminated chip board it now gives me a stable height and angle adjustable top, bench, table. One in which things will not fall off so easy (things still fall tho), I will drill dog holes at some other time possibly.


If I could buy another of these I would, bought at Sams Warehouse some 12 or more years ago for less than $50. Its stable enough even now to use the Jet Mini lathe on it. It can double as a draught board now too.



 Job No2

A new table top for Sue's carding table the old one was becoming crumbly being MDF, laminated or I should say covered one side with a stick on type surface and just 12mm thick. New white Melamine cut to size 450x600x25 edged using wooden blinds Sue had found, just the right thickness and colour.















 The carder clamped to the table. The table is height adjustable giving Sue more ways in which to use it.


 Job No3

For some time I have wanted to make a 90 deg full height bandsaw jig for cutting boards or veneer.
I had borrowed Alan's years back for a quick job.
His used two Mag Switches I bought from Hare & Forbes about 3 years ago, The difference is instead of making up two 90 deg rear supports I have used two 90 deg metal shelf angle supports. I screwed and glued the joint which was at 90 deg with out the supports. Due to the thickness of the base I had to recess the Mag switches 5mm to be level with the base and to clamp to the surface plate. My surface plate is ribbed and the switches have just enough clamping power to hold it steady, if it was a smooth surface it would not move at all.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome please forgive us if not replied to immediately.