Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Odd Jobs and Maintenance

Odd jobs they pop up everywhere no matter what field your in.

"Can you do this 5 min job please"

I learnt a long time ago there is no such thing as a 5 min job, if this was the case they'd do it themselves. I include myself in this crowd even when doing it for myself.


I had/have a list of odd jobs to complete a baby Swift to repair for winding wool, boxes to make, cabinets to put wheels on. Wood to mill, cut and store.

Maintenance of tools is important if they are worn, parts falling off, need re-aligning or tuning up for best performance. I try to put tools away when finished with them a quick clean isn't always good enough.

One such odd job was fitting the new metal bandsaw blade and giving it a test run. I covered two jobs in one a block of steel which had seen better days. I had to trim off the outer rust before it got tossed 5"x3"x2" it had been used as a door stop by my father in law. .

The cut has been the best as far as square and true I have got the thin cut to remove the rusted surface is excellent although I have yet to check it all for square.











The steel block will get used somewhere coated with oil or lacquer to protect its surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome please forgive us if not replied to immediately.